Saturday, January 31

Like the flick of a switch


My beautiful wife is sound asleep right now and it is the most adorable thing in the world how she can fall asleep just like that. Almost like flipping a switch. I truly hope our baby will inherit that trait from mom, not the insomnia from daddy.

Wait, I called myself daddy! I think that is the first time I have written that since we got pregnant! Man, it sure is getting real now.

My boss Ron was kind enough to borrow us a pocket Doppler so that we can listen to baby’s heartbeat whenever we want and we tried it out this morning but baby did not want to play. It is kind of tricky to find that tiny spot where the heart is at the moment but we’ll keep trying.

Our pregnancy has other ripple effects as well; it seems a happening like this is bringing people closer together. My family on my dad’s side and Shaena’s family were already in contact before the pregnancy, despite oceans apart, but now there is a different type of closeness and sense of family with the baby on the way. My dad is doing genealogy research on the Fortin family to understand what his grandchild’s heritage is and Shaena’s mom is renting a big flat here in Edinburgh over the summer to be able to be with her new grandchild. At the same time she is reaching out to all family with an offer to come stay with her to enable people to come visit us.

Thank you all for your efforts, we really do appreciate everything that you are doing for us!

2 comments:

  1. Pekka, all I have to say is that you and I are going to be drinking at a nice little patio somewhere and smoking a cigar once your baby is born. So rest up cause here comes the big fucker!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bain... that is such a prison-comment! You need to get a new job! But yes, in essence your view in the matter are accurate and true... we need some parasol drinks and fat cubans! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, don't be shy... drop us a line!