Monday, September 7

While Peter is away...


...I will have official blogging duties!

Today was a lovely day outside and Ethan and I had our hearts set on going to Gorgie City Farm as there was a "taster" session for Baby Sign Language. We strolled out to that end of town and hung around with the goats, doves, bunnies and roosters until 1:30 where the class was meant to take place. Unfortunately the teacher never showed! Shame as we were excited to be able to learn a few words to communicate before Ethan can verbalize anything!

I actually have quite a bit of experience with Sign Language though as I started signing when I was 14. My Aunty Jacquie asked me to take a course with her as she is hard of hearing. I fell in love with the language and took level 101 only. It wasn't until I was 19 and fresh out of high school did I decide to pick it back up again and took levels 101 through to 203 (that's the highest at the Manitoba Deaf Centre)

After taking all those courses I wanted to learn more so I decided to enroll at the University of Manitoba/Red River College "Deaf Studies Program" which gears people to interpreter level. After that year long course and being immersed in the Winnipeg Deaf Community, I was being mistaken as Deaf as my signing was so natural!

I am hoping to teach it to Ethan so he can have a few words under his sleeve and Peter already knows a few ;) It will be interesting to see how British Baby sign differs from North American sign!

After our time with the animals, Ethan and I headed towards the Grassmarket as Jen and her family were in town for lunch. We had a tea at Mamma's Pizza then met up with them. What a nice crew! They're all here for Jen & Mike's big wedding in St. Andrew's this Saturday which is going to be a blast! North Americans and Scots unite!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, don't be shy... drop us a line!