Friday, April 9

Sad eyes


Last night my Grandma Ebba in Sweden sadly passed away after a long and rich life of loving and caring for Grandpa Alf, their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Grandma was always a very important part of our lives when we grew up and always had the biggest heart when it came to us grandkids. My heart is heavy right now but I smile when I think back at all our family holidays, Christmases, turkey dinners, crayfish parties and other traditional feasts that were had in their house and how she could cope so fantastically well with a madhouse of kids running around and sometimes way too many chefs in the kitchen! I also remember how it was always so important to Grandma that we kids got to do help out with some of the small chores that we enjoyed doing, year after year. Just to make us smile.

I for one used to enjoy helping out with making the little rose on top of the green marzipan ‘Princess cake’ when I was 5 or 6 years old and this was always something she made sure it ‘got assigned’ to me and no one else was allowed. As a thank you for helping out with making the rose, I also got first dibs on it when the cake was served.

I also used to enjoy running errands to their basement when everyone else was preparing dinner; specifically errands to their food storage room where they stored cookies, desserts, sweeties and pop. When asked if I could run down and grab a few bottles of pop for dinner, I would gladly accept and stay down there for a suspiciously long time. They also had an exercise bicycle down there and sometimes I would tell a fib and say that ”the reason it took so long was because I tried the exercise bicycle”, when in fact I had been sampling ‘vanilj drömmar kakor’, Swedish ‘dream cookies’. Grandma’s baking was just so irresistible!

We'll miss you Grandma! Say hi to Grandpa for us!


1 comment:

  1. Ida Söderlind10 April 2010 at 14:46

    I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, don't be shy... drop us a line!