Monday, August 9

A day in the life of Shaena


Saturday was my long awaited "girls night out" with Jen and Orlaith. They so kindly asked me to join them to the show "Celebrity Autobiography" which is part of the Edinburgh Fringe's various line ups of shows. The shows producers and cast are staying at a flat that the girls manage and low and behold, emergency in flat averted and tickets are offered for their speediness and stellar customer service!

The show's premise is various actors read aloud from celebrity's autobiographies. Very interesting concept and well executed I must say. It boasted from the books of David Hasselhoff's "Don't mess with the Hoff" and his telling of his life story through the 3rd person, Tiger Woods book and how to set up your putting shot which held many euphemisms for his recent encounters and the infamous story of Debbie Reynolds and her marriage to Eddie Fisher and his affair with Elizabeth Taylor plus much more. I do recommend it if you are looking for an inexpensive night during the Fringe. The only problem is finding the venue. This is a common issue with E4's layout as they have the Underbelly, Udderbelly, The upside down cow, The Otherbelly and so on. Orlaith did think we were at the right show only to find out 5 minutes before last call that we weren't! So we scurried down and luckily were in time.

After the show the cast and crew were out in the garden having drinks and I finagled my way over to Michael Urie or as we had been referring to him all night, "The gay guy from Ugly Betty" and kindly asked to have a photo taken with him. Now when it comes to celebrity photo taking, I do not believe in handing my camera off to some stranger to take some terrible photo. No! You only have 1 chance to get this thing done the right way and that is the "self photo" way. Out of all the photos he took with the others, mine actually looks like we're best friends on a night out. So beat that fans! HA!

Our next show didn't start till 1am! So we decided to go get some drinks. Viv, who was meant to come to the show with us but had a mix up of a day starting with her Dad leaving her stranded and not enough time to come meet us as a bus was the preferred choice of transportation in a situation as that, was waiting for us at the infamous Bobby statue in the Old Town. From here we went to "Under the Stairs", a popular yet sort of hippy place to have drinks only to find that it was jammed packed full of people so the seat that was so kindly offered to me was the stump of a tree. Thanks guys (don't worry, I still love you)

After my legs fell asleep, it was off to our next destination, "The Grosvenor" and Karaoke with Karen! This place is in the heart of the city centre and is crying out for a make over but seats are easy to find and the drinks are as cheap as chips. We got our selves settled, liquored up and decided to make an attempt at singing Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" As I expected, we were terrible but the song is such a motivator that people from the streets decided to come and check out what was happening! We made a few friends and were purchased some beverages and before we knew it, it was time to head to the next show.

The Ghillie Dhu is a newer venue in town and I absolutely love it here. Every Friday night they hold a free Celidgh (which is like square dancing Scottish style) and it is nicely done up and drinks are reasonably priced. We were here for the Pleasance Kickoff Party and it was great. A great DJ (who is now my favourite all time DJ as he played my requests) played awesome music and we cut up the dance floor all night. I poured into bed at 3am only to find someone in my spot...yep, you guessed it. Ethan! And he was ready to play.

Unfortunately my prediction was not correct. I did not get my photo with George Wendt. It's okay, I'll live!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, don't be shy... drop us a line!