Saturday, January 23

Blast from the Past


So I have been reading a fellow bloggers tales and she has this super awesome blog where she dips into her old memorabilia from when she was a kid and posts items/memories/journal entries, etc. It just got me reminiscing about what a cool upbringing I had as a kid.

My mom founded a Charity called "The Rainbow Society" in Winnipeg, Canada which was/is dedicated to fulfilling the dreams of Manitoba children suffering from life-threatening illnesses. They were the only charity of their time to serve the needs solely of Manitoba children and still are!

Although this was a double edged sword as most of the cool kids I met when I was young did not always have the best outcomes ahead of them, My mom was able to help them achieve their dreams and bring along their families on some pretty cool journeys.

One huge event that I remember is she organised this charity event in 1989 called "Hollywood Goes Hockey" that had famous hockey players play against celebrities. From my memories, at this event were Matthew Perry, Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver), Dave Coulier, and Jack White (he drew the Pink Panther). Funny enough, I actually have my own sketch from Jack with the Pink Panther holding an old 80's type cell phone saying "Shaena, its for you...It's your Mom" (I need to find this and scan it to the blog!)

I remember wearing a big blue puffy dress to the event and getting to sit behind the penalty box and MacGyver turning around and making funny faces at me to prompt me to blush as red as red can be! Of course at the time I didn't know who any of these people were or have any idea of the fame that my Mom brought to the Peg. It would be nice if my mom could dig up some memorabilia from that night and scan it over (yep Mom, I hope you're reading this and starting to look!)

It sure was cool though being a kid in the 80/90's. Looking back it just seemed so dreamy and picturesque.

Ps - Mom. You are cool and inspiring! I hope I can be as cool a Mom to Ethan as you are to me and inspire him to reach for his dreams!

UPDATE Since posting this blog this morning I happened to come across a spectator at the event and she has sent me this photo. She was trying to get a photo of Richard Dean Anderson...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, don't be shy... drop us a line!