Wednesday, November 18

Daytrip to Gimli


Grandpa Keith and I decided to go for a spur of the moment drive outside the Winnipeg city limits, so we headed north east towards Gimli, a lakeside Icelandic community. Our first stop was Lockport and the famously haunted St Andrews church, where apparently you disappear if you walk backwards around the church 3 times. We didn’t, so we are still here. Phew!

The running joke before we left was that we would swing by a Mennonite or Hutterite colony on the way and make a few extra bucks. Apparently (and I have actually done a bit of research on this one as this probably is the weirdest thing I have heard in a long time!) the Mennonites, the Hutterites and the Amish communities of North America are troubled with an increasing number of hereditary diseases as their gene pools have been closed off from the rest of the world for about 12 generations. Therefore, they have come up with a way to get fresh blood into their community by offering men from outside the colonies money to impregnate one of their women the natural way. Show me the money!

We also drove through Winnipeg Beach, an aging holiday resort town that kind of looked like it had been left behind in the 50’s (*tumbleweed*). We drove on to Gimli, which had a similar feel to it. For me, being Swedish and all, it was interesting to see all the Icelandic flags and Nordic references in street names, shop names, names of ships etc. For example; the coast guard ship was named ‘Vakta’, which translated to Sweden would be ‘guard’ or ‘guarding’ and a crafts shop was named ‘Koma Heim’, which translated to Swedish would be ‘coming home’.

Keith kept us entertained by flipping channels between my 80's hair-bands-channel, and his favourite blues-channel on his satellite radio and by practicing the harmonica. Thank you for a great day out, Keith!



2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I just came back from a trip to Iceland and over there I found out about Gimli. I like scandinavian culture in general and I enjoyed my trip over there, people were very nice and I had a great time.

    My question is, how is Gimli in that respect? Because Iceland, more specifically Reykjavik is more used to tourists and that's why most of the people were nice. But I heard a rumour about Gimli not being welcoming towards foreigners or just tourists. Could you describe your experience with the people of Gimli?

    Thanks!
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Richard! Thanks for your comment! Interesting rumour, I had not actually heard that before going to Gimli and we had a good day out in Gimli. I was not too impressed with the actual town itself though, kinda 'hick', but it was nice to see all the nordic references in street names, on ships, restaurants etc. Canadians overall are super-friendly people and as Gimli is a part of 'Friendly Manitoba', I hope that holds true for the 'Gimlians' as well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, don't be shy... drop us a line!